Welcome to the Roe household blog. We're attempting to post 365 days of pictures in a Roe. Cork and I have been married since 2002 and welcomed identical daughters in August of 2009 after a struggle with infertility. Our girls were definitely worth the wait and I say they were destined to be here because they were conceived on my birthday, due on my sister's birthday and born on my grandma's birthday. What are the chances of that! We welcomed our third daughter in June of 2012. We all fell in love with her right away. She has two amazing older sisters who love to watch over her.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Prefold Prep

I've been having issues with our night diaper inserts for a while. I can not get the balance of detergent right. Too much and they smell like ammonia once the girls uri.nate in them and too little and they still stink once the wash is finished. To get the ammonia stink you, I have to strip the diapers. I can do this by washing them with some dawn detergent or by boiling them on the stove. I'm sick of doing it and hate the microfiber fabric that's in our night inserts. I finally broke down and went to buy new inserts this weekend. I wanted to try some hemp inserts, but the store I went to didn't have hemp inserts that would soak up enough liquid to last all night. Instead, I bought prefolds. I had to prep the prefolds today before the kids could wear them tonight. I prepped them by boiling them on the stove for 15 minutes with some dawn and then washing them a few times. I'm hoping the 15 minute boil was enough to skip most of the washing cycles I should have done. I'll find out in the morning if the prefolds soaked up uri.ne all night long or if they repelled it still and I have to wash all the sheets and mattress covers. The oils in the fabric stop the liquid from soaking in, so that has to be pulled out of the fabric before it's used. I should have taken a before and after pic of the prefolds. They go from these very large flat pieces of fabric to smaller very puffy pieces of fabric.



After my prepping was started, we took a drive to the zoo. The kids were happily sitting in the van, making their babies dance. Do you notice that they are still rear facing? Yep. 24 months and I'm still in no hurry to face them forward. They still fit in the rear facing seats and they are so much safer riding that way. They haven't ridden forward, so don't know what they are missing.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the kids used their strollers for each other instead of their dolls. Today was that day.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you still RF we get crap for it all the time and the girls don't even weigh enough to turn around yet. Both are still under 20 lbs! So even if we wanted to turn them around we couldn't. We will be RFing for a long time too!

    ReplyDelete