Welcome to the Roe household blog. We're attempting to post 365 days of pictures in a Roe. Cork and I have been married since 2002 and welcomed identical daughters in August of 2009 after a struggle with infertility. Our girls were definitely worth the wait and I say they were destined to be here because they were conceived on my birthday, due on my sister's birthday and born on my grandma's birthday. What are the chances of that! We welcomed our third daughter in June of 2012. We all fell in love with her right away. She has two amazing older sisters who love to watch over her.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk


This is all the remains of my hard earned frozen breast milk. Apparently my milk is high in lipase. Because of the lipase, the fat in my milk breaks down very quickly. If I pump and put milk in the fridge, it stinks in less than 24 hours. Freezing it does not stop the breakdown of the fat. There is nothing wrong with the milk, except it tastes funky and smells soapy. Some kids will drink milk like this, mine won't. Mine won't even eat foods with this milk mixed in. The solution to the lipase is to scald the milk right after it's pumped. Because the kids started sleeping through the night :cheer: I am pumping most nights before I go to bed. I'm not getting a lot since they each eat not too long before this, but enough that I'm slowly building up a stash.

1 comment:

  1. ohno...that stinks (no pun intended) sorry. i went through a phase of this but it didn't last long...one of the twins drank the milk no problem and the other wouldn't. at any rate...stay encouraged...i've been nursing for 12+ mos! i just stopped pumping this week though..hoping to begin the weaning process...

    ReplyDelete